Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Circumstances do not define you

What defines you? If you had to describe yourself to someone that you just met, what would you tell them... or better yet, what would you not tell them?

After being diagnosed as a T1 diabetic, I felt like my diabetes was beginning to define who I am. It definitely has changed many habits and the way I have to live each day. Some days, I find myself in a little pity party where I feel undesirable because of my diagnosis. Perhaps you're not diabetic, but can you relate? I think we all can share in this feeling... everyone has insecurities in certain areas. Not talented enough? Not attractive enough? Limited by physical conditions or finances?

I didn't realize how much this was harming my thinking until my pastor asked me about it directly. He challenged me then with this phrase: "You are not broken. You are not less of a person." 


Although I didn't realize it initially, I had begun to believe that I was broken, and thus limited in my ability live life and serve God. But it's not true!! My joy and purpose is rooted in Christ alone, not in my health, my relationship status, or my abilities. This truth, if fully grasped, is freeing and beautiful! Why focus on my human limitations, when there is a heavenly purpose to pursue??

And you know, my diabetes really doesn't have to ruin my life (as I'm discovering). Proof of point.... this past weekend, I was able to spend hours hiking through beautiful mountain scenery in Colorado... conquering mountains, discovering breathtaking views. My approach to hiking is slightly altered, as I have to plan food, snacks, insulin, etc, in advance, but the result was the same, and perhaps even more rewarding.

Praise God for reassuring me of this truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment