Thursday, June 30, 2011

When life gives you lemons...

Make Lemonade.
You know the saying.

Today, I decided to take this catchy little phrase literally. Diabetes can sour life if you let it, but with a positive attitude and willingness to learn, any situation can be sweetened.

But back to the real lemons. Okay, the 4th of July weekend is nearly upon us, and I've been thinking through all of my favorite summer holiday foods, trying to plan a menu that my extended family will enjoy... and that I can enjoy as well! In my opinion, lemonade is essential to any and all picnics. We happened to have two lemons sitting in our kitchen, so I grabbed them and set out to discover sugar-free lemonade.

With the combined input of several websites, this is what I came up with! It's so quick and easy.. because you use Stevia (sugar substitute), you don't even need to heat water to dissolve the sugar into a syrup, like most lemonade recipes!

(Keep in mind.. this only makes about 1 qt. of lemonade since that's all the lemon I had to work with! This is easily doubled, tripled... etc.)


  • 2 large lemons (to make about 1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice)
  • 1 qt. of cold water
  • 2-3 packets of Stevia sweetener (It depends on how sweet you like it! I made it with just two, and loved the bit of tartness that remained)
Set the lemons out at least one hour before you want to use them to let them warm up. Before cutting the lemons, roll them on the counter top, applying firm pressure with your palms to soften them. Cut lemons in half and squeeze the juice into a measuring cup until you have about 1/3 cup. Mix with cold water and Stevia, and enjoy!

Next time I make this, I think I'll serve it with crushed ice and some fresh raspberries or strawberries. I may even add a bit of lime juice for some extra tangy-ness! 

Happy summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment