Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Slow-cooked, Sloppy Sandwich & Coleslaw

Sloppy Joes always take me back to childhood for some reason... and they ALWAYS make me think of summer. Not to mention the fact that they're easy to make with a can of Manwich sauce! This recipe for Sloppy Joes doesn't take much more prep time than a jar of pre-made sauce, plus it's sugar-free and better tasting! Next time it's too hot to cook, give this recipe a whirl..... I found it in Simple Everday Diabetic Meals by Better Homes and Garden, and tweaked the recipe just slightly.

Sloppy Joes: Ingredients

  • 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of LEAN ground beef
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced, or 1 tsp of minced garlic out of a jar
  • 1 6 oz can of vegetable juice (I use V8's small cans)
  • 1/2 cup catsup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 T. Splenda (or other sugar substitute)
  • 1 T. Mustard
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire 
Brown the beef with onion and garlic; drain off the fat. Combine all other ingredients plus meat in crockpot. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hrs on low, or 3-4 hrs. on high.

***A couple quick notes: I tend to let it cook on low for about 5 hours, then I turn it up to high for the last hour or two. The original recipe also called for 2 T. Jalapenos, but I excluded those and added a bit of cumin and cayenne... it adds just a bit of delicious warmth. Serve on your favorite low-carb bread or bun! (I like Arnold's Sandwich Thins)

Now.. this is great served with some fresh coleslaw on the side, which is a very easy, low-carb dish. So here's a recipe I found while digging online one day that I simply love:

Coleslaw: Ingredients
  • One bag of coleslaw mix
  • 1 cup Mayo
  • 1 T. white vinegar
  • 1 T. horseradish
  • 1/4 tsp. celery seed
Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to blend. Summer ease is served :)

No comments:

Post a Comment