Friday, July 15, 2011

Tortilla Calzones

First of all, a quick apology for my absence of late. School and travelling drew me away....

But meanwhile, I have been capturing several recipes that I'd love to share with you! So let's get started...

I love pizza. What good American doesn't? But as a diabetic, the rules have changed a bit, and the days of mindlessly devouring as much grease and carb-laden crust as I could handle are over. (Yes... I've been known to eat half of a LARGE pizza at a time.) No matter how you choose to bolus it, pizza just is tricky.. and it's one of those that likes to come back and bite you a few hrs later!

So here's my little invention to satisfy my cravings. We'll call it a tortilla calzone. Unfortunately, I don't have an exact recipe, because every time I make it, I just chop up whatever is on hand, weigh it on my super hand Salter food scale that gives me the exact carb count for any food item (available at Amazon.. check out the link!), and then add it to my tortilla.


Basic Instructions:
  1. Use a low-carb tortilla ( I like La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat, with 6 net carbs
  2. Place on cookie sheet and use whatever toppings you desire... I did cooked chicken (cubed), green pepper, onion, tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, oregano, and a dash of salt
  3. Bake at 350 for 7-10 minutes or until the tortilla and cheese are just beginning to brown
  4. Fold the tortilla in half, cut into triangles, and enjoy! I believe that just one of these totaled about 11 carbs! If you desire, serve with marinara, just remember to count those extra carbs :)
Baked tortilla, before I folded it in half

Here's the tortillas I use... love them! I also use them for wraps, burritos.. etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment