Friday, June 24, 2011

About Me

I'm Sami, and I'm just average.

Really. I grew up in the cornfields of Ohio.. and that's where I still live, to date. My 21'st birthday is quickly approaching, and this fall I'll be a senior accounting major. I was diagnosed with diabetes on May 13, 2011. Needless to say, it's been a huge life adjustment in many ways. Thus the title, Curious Crossroads. It seems as though we spend the majority of life working through changes, good or bad. But, as I'm daily reminded,

"For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken." (Psalm 62:1-2)

What a comfort! The twists and turns of life will not destroy me as long as I cling to God, who planned my life according to His perfect will. Because of Christ, I have hope, no matter what comes my way!

So what's this all about??

I've always loved food... making it, eating it, sharing it. In fact, I'm one of those girls that takes food to work and class all the time.. just because it's an excuse to bake! As a food lover, changing my diet was initially devastating. But as I get farther into this, I'm enjoying the challenge of discovering new recipes and a new approach to cooking and baking as a whole! My biggest priority right now is to find recipes that are quick and easy to make, considering I'll be a full-time student again shortly! Few of us have the time, energy, or resources to create masterpieces, so hopefully my In the Kitchen section will help you find practical alternatives for a busy lifestyle!

In my Journey section, I'll be sharing thoughts and lessons that I'm learning along the way. Being diagnosed with an auto-immune disease is an emotional journey! Laughter, tears, grief, and joy in simple things are all healthy and necessary emotions. Trust me, there have been plenty of tears on this end!

Look in Tips & Tricks for thoughts on managing diabetes and taking care of yourself (or your friends/loved ones). I'm no medical expert, but there is a lot to learn about diabetes, and I'm eager to share with you things I'm discovering.

Finally... Must-haves. That's right. There are plenty of great tools, resources, etc. that will help you manage your diabetes and enjoy life while you're at it! Check this section for updates on little things that may simplify your life.

I'm excited! Whether you have been recently diagnosed or have been managing diabetes for years, there's always something to learn. So journey with me through these curious crossroads.... together, let's find the sweet things in life!



No comments:

Post a Comment